Consultant Digital Child Safeguarding - M&D Programming
We are currently recruiting for a Consultant to support improvements in our child safeguarding work in situations where digital technologies ‘interface’ with Migration and Displacement (M&D) contexts. Learnings from the exercise are expected to support both our internal capacity-building around responsible applications of technology for M&D-relevant child and youth programming, and at the same time, will represent a significant and timely contribution to emerging sector-wide digital child safeguarding good practice.
The Consultant will undertake a desk-based orientation study providing the following four components:
- Risk Review: Reviews and categorizes into an accessible typology of risks the range of risks to migrant and displaced children stemming from both current and near-future digital technologies
- ‘External’ Risk Response Mapping: A comprehensive review and gap-mapping of sector-wide best-practice guidance, initiatives, research and key stakeholders relevant fora
- Internal Review of our Digital Child Safeguarding: using the wider sector perspective provided by the external-facing desk review as a reference point, this portion of the study would review SC’s current state of digital child safeguarding guidance
- Propositional Roadmap: Study will end with a set of suggested recommendations for immediate next steps for SC to take around digital child safeguarding for its M&D work
In order to be successful you will bring:
- Demonstrable research expertise on cutting-edge issues of humanitarian innovation practice and applied humanitarian data ethics.
- Research expertise on child safeguarding, ideally in the context of child and youth migration and/or displacement.
- Excellent up-to-date technical literacy on relevant digital technologies – including ICT, biometrics, big data, and block-chain technologies.
- Familiarity with current migration research and recognised migration theories
- Demonstrable experience in leading field-based research
- Demonstrable experience working on child rights, migration and/or displacement-related issues.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of French, Spanish, or other project relevant language is a significant advantage.
- Familiarity with project management tools (e.g., MS Project) and budgeting is an advantage.
The total project timeline for Phase 1 will be 6 months. Consultants may be expected to begin work as early as November 2019.
We expect 65 working days will be required to complete this Consultancy.
Save the Children in a federated Membership based organization employing approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in 117 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the rights of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach your CV and cover letter with your application and include details of your salary expectations. A copy of the full ToR can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 7 Nov 2019
Closing date: 9 Dec 2019 - 06:59 +07
Location: Worldwide, Worldwide
Department: Programme Operations
Type: ContingentSchedule: Full-time